|Select your language|
Life in Paraguay
South America's forgotten country
Paraguay is a landlocked country lying between Argentina, Bolivia and Brazil. It is slightly smaller than California with the bulk of the population concentrated in the southern half of the country.
- Capital – Asuncion
- Language – Spanish and Guarani
- Area – 406,752 km2
- Population – 6,862,812 (2016 est)
- President – Horacio Cartes
- Currency – Guarani
Things to do in Paraguay
- Asuncion – The capital city of Paraguay, great if you fancy museums, markets, food, or taking a ride on the first railway in South America.
- San Rafael – The last remaining piece of the Atlantic Forest. Massive biodiversity combined with Guarani culture - a taste of authentic Paraguay.
- Salta del Monday – A spectacular waterfall close to Cuidad Del Este.
- Itaipu Dam – Take a tour of the second largest hydro-electric power station in the world followed by a visit to the zoo and Guarani culture museum.
- Jesuit ruins – See the ruined Jesuit temples and purchase your souvenirs from the indigenous population.
- Rio Paraguay – Take a slow boat from Asuncion or Concepcion up the into the Chaco. Take your hammock.
- Chaco – Beautiful scenery, salt lakes, peccary farm, huge variety of birdlife, large mammals including puma, tapir, armadillo and a war museum. If you only visit one desert this year, visit the Chaco.
Things to do in Argentina
- Puerta Iguazu/Iguazu falls – Visit the widest waterfalls in the world and see the devils throat, (Garganta del Diablo). Best viewed from the Argentinian side.
- Carlos Peligrini – A beautiful and well maintained nature reserve on a floating island. It offers good food and accommodation, (we recommend Rancho Ynambu), horse riding and boat trips. See caiman, capybara and deer in their natural environment.
- Tres puntas – Have one foot in Brazil and one in Argentina and look across the river at Paraguay.
- Posadas – A modern border town on the Rio Panana, across the river from Encarnacion.
Diplomatic representationUnited States embassy:
1776 Avenida Mariscal Lopez, Casilla Postal 402, Asuncion
Telephone:  (21) 213 715
Fax:  (21) 213-728
Edificio Citicenter, Piso 5, Av. Mariscal López y Cruz del Chaco, Asunción
Telephone: 595 (21) 614 588
General enquiries: BE-Asuncion.Enquiries@fco.gov.uk